In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hooe like this:
HOOE, a village and a parish in Hailsham district, Sussex. The village stands near the river Ashburn, 3½ miles WNW of Bexhill r. station, and 6 SW of Battle; and has a post office under Battle, and a fair on 1 May.The parish comprises 2, 448 acres. Real property, £3, 536. Pop., 496. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Henry, Earl of Ewe; was given by him, about the beginning of the 12th century to the Abbey of Beck in Normandy; became the site of Benedictine priory, a cell to that abbey; and passed to the colleges of Eton and Ashford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £319.* Patron, Alfred Jones, Esq. The church is ancient; comprises nave, chancel, and N chapel or vestry, with a low massive embattled tower; and is in excellent repair.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hooe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wealden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hooe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hooe, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hooe".