In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Funtington like this:
FUNTINGTON, a parish and a sub-district in Westbourne district, Sussex. The parish lies 2¼ miles N of Bosham r. station, and 4½ WSW of Chichester; and contains the tythings of East and West Ashling, and the hamlet of Sennicotts. Post town, West Ashling, under Chichester. Acres, 3, 635. Real property, £7, 934. - Pop., 1, 099. Houses, 231. There are several fine residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is ancient; and was extensively renovated, and much enlarged and beautified, in 1859. The p. curacy of Sennicotts is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £31.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Funtington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Funtington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Funtington, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Funtington".