In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chipping Warden like this:
CHIPPING-WARDEN, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Cherwell, at the verge of the county, 3¼ miles NE of Cropredy r. station, and 6½ NNE of Banbury; has a post office under Banbury; and was once a market-town. The parish includes the village; and is in Banbury district. Acres, inclusive of Stoneton, 1, 987. Real property, £5, 369. Pop., 489. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. A Danish camp is at Arbury bank; a rampart, called the Wallow bank, is near the Black ground; and roman coins and other Roman relics have been found there. ...
The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £277.* Patron, the Right Hon. Lady S. North. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £81. -The hundred includes eight other parishes. Pop., 4, 491.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chipping Warden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chipping Warden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chipping Warden in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chipping Warden".