In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Billingshurst like this:
BILLINGSHURST, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Petworth district, Sussex. The village stands on the Roman Stane-street, adjacent to the Mid-Sussex railway, near the Arun and Wye canal, 7 miles SW of Horsham; and has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Horsham, and fairs on Whit-Monday and 8 Nov. It probably got its name from being a settlement of the great Saxon tribe of Billing.The parish is divided into East and West Billingshurst. Acres, 6,758. Real property, £6,234. ...
Pop., 1,495. Houses, 296. The property is much subdivided. Gratwick House is the seat of R. Bascoby, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £170.* Patron, SirGoring, Bart. The south side of the church is very early Norman; the rest, chiefly perpendicular English. There are two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £7.-The subdistrict comprises three parishes. Acres, 21,072. Pop., 4,245. Houses, 832.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Billingshurst has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Horsham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Billingshurst and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Billingshurst, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Billingshurst".