In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mears Ashby like this:
ASHBY-MEARS, or Mears-Ashby, a parish in Wellingborough district, Northampton; 3 miles N by W of Castle-Ashby r. station, and 3½ WSW of Wellingborough. Post Town, Wilby, under Northampton. Acres, 1,890. Real property, £3,220. Pop., 525. Houses, 117. A.-M. Hall is the seat of H. M. Stockdale, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £235. Patrons, Trustees. The church was restored in 1858. There are two dissenting chapels and an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mears Ashby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wellingborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mears Ashby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mears Ashby, in Wellingborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mears Ashby".