In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bocking like this:
BOCKING, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands on the left bank of Blackwater river, and on the Braintree railway, adjacent to Braintree; forms a suburb of that town; consists chiefly of one long street; and is a seat of petty sessions. A trade in baizes, called "bockings," was at one time prominent; and a manufacture of silk and crape is now carried on. ...
The parish includes also Bocking-street and Bocking-Church-street, ¾ and 2 miles distant from Braintree, both with post offices under that town, and the former situated on the branch Roman road from Chelmsford. Acres, 4,607. Real property, £15,156. Pop., 3,555. Houses, 768. The property is much subdivided. The man or was given by Ethelred to the see of Canterbury; and belongs now to the corporation of the sons of the clergy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £923.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; had anciently three altars and five chantries; and contains some monuments and two brasses. There are an Independent chapel, much improved in 1869, a charity school with £50, and other charities with £172. Dr. Dale, the author of "Pharmacologia," was a native. The subdistrict contains five parishes. Acres, 11,507. Pop., 5,281. Houses, 1,171.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bocking, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bocking ".