In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Croydon like this:
Croydon, parl. and mun. bor., market town, and par., Surrey -- par. and bor., 9001 ac., pop. 78,953; 3 Banks, 12 newspapers. Market-days, Thursday and Saturday. C. is 10 miles S. of London Bridge, but forms practically a S. suburb of the metropolis, and contains numerous handsome villas of London merchants. It has 6 stations -- Addiscombe Road, Central, East, New, South, West -- connecting the town with the main lines and branches of the London, Brighton, and South Coast and South-Eastern Railways. ...
The weekly corn and cattle markets constitute the chief business of the town. There are no mfrs. C. is a place of great antiquity. It has many traces of the Romans. The archiepiscopal palace, of which the chapel and hall still remain, is supposed to have been founded by Lanfranc (1005-1089); it was the occasional residence of his successors until 1757. C. is the capital of E. Surrey, and assizes are held alternately there and at Guildford. It was made a mun. bor. in 1883, and a parl. bor. in 1885; it returns 1 member.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Croydon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Croydon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Croydon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croydon in Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Croydon".