In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Altrincham like this:
ALTRINCHAM, or Altringham, a town, a township, two chapelries, a subdistrict, and a district, in Cheshire. The town is in the parish of Bowdon, at an intersection of railways, adjacent to the Bridgewater canal, 8 miles SSW of Manchester; comprises good streets and some handsome villas; is a seat of petty-sessions and county courts, and a polling-place; publishes a weekly news paper; carries on iron-founding, bone-grinding, timber sawing, much trade from neighbouring market-gardens, and much transit traffic, and has a head post office,‡ three r. ...
stations, two chief inns, a town hall of 1849, a literary institution in the Tudor style enlarged in 1864, a plain church of 1799, a church in the decorated English style built in 1867, a Wesleyan chapel in the Byzantine style built in 1864, five other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, five public schools, a medical hospital, charities £57, a weekly market on Tuesday, and three annuals fairs.-The township comprises 657 acres. Real property, £24,087. Pop., 6,628. Houses, 1,240.-The chapelries are St. George and St. John. The livings are p. curacies. Value of St. G., £210.* Patron of St. G., the Vicar of Bowdon; of St. J., the Bishop of Chester. The subdistrict comprises part of the parish of Bowdon and all the parish of Ashton-upon-Mersey. Acres, 17,796. Pop., 18,214. Houses, 3,453. The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Wilmslow, containing the parishes of Mobberley, and Northern, and part of the parish of Wilmslow; the subdistrict of Lymm, containing the parishes of Lymm and Warburton, and parts of the parishes of Bowdon, Rosthern, and Great Budworth; and the subdistrict of Knutsford, containing the parish of Knuts ford, and parts of the parishes of Rostherne and Great Budworth Acres, 73,665. Poor-rates in 1866, £15,917. Pop. in 1841, 31,019; in 1861, 40,517. Houses, 7,782. Marriages in 1866, 230; births, 1,385,-of which 115 were illegitimate; deaths, 855,-of which 317 were at ages under 5 years, and 16 were at ages above 85. Mar riages in the ten years 1851-60, 2,012; births, 12,179; deaths, 7,387. The places of worship in 1851 were 20 of the Church of England, with 8,832 sittings; 12 of Independents, with 2,895 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 615 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 200 s.; 6 of Unitarians, with 684 s.; 2 of Moravians, sittings not reported; 21 of Wesleyan Metho dists, with 3,672 s.; 1 of New Connexion Methodists, with 500 s.; 9 of Primitive Methodists, with 879 s.; 1 of Wesleyan Association and 1 of Brethren, sittings not reported; 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 50 s.; and 2 of Roman Catholics, with 130 s. The schools in 1851 were 42 public day schools, with 2,755 scholars; 64 private day schools, with 1,590 s.; 63 Sunday schools, with 5,649 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 85 s. The workhouse is in the township of Knutsford-Inferior.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Altrincham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Trafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Altrincham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Altrincham, in Trafford and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Altrincham".