In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haddiscoe like this:
HADDISCOE, a village and a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk. The village stands near the East Suffolk and the Lowestoft railways, and near the river Waveney and the boundary with Suffolk, 5 miles N by E of Beccles; and has a station on the Lowestoft railway, and a post office under Norwich. The parish comprises 2, 071 acres. Real property, £4, 057. Pop., 355. Houses, 81. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to H. S. Grimmer, Esq.; and the manor house is pleasantly situated, and commands fine views. ...
The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of MonksToft, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £500.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church stands on a rising. ground; is ancient, battlemented, and very good; and has a Norman south door, an apsidal chapel, and a round five storey tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and town lands £50. A preceptory of Knights Templars was here in the time of Henry III.; and a bridge, called St. Olave's, was built over the Waveney by Dame Hobart, in the time of Henry VII., and rebuilt in 1770, and in 1848.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Haddiscoe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Haddiscoe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haddiscoe in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Haddiscoe".