In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbey Dore like this:
ABBEYDORE, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Dore, 2 miles NW of Pontrilas r. station, and 11 SW of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford. It is an old-fashioned place, and offers facilities for anglers. The parish comprises 5,390 acres. Real property, £4,593. Pop., 551. Houses, 99. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £680.* Patrons, the co heirs of the late duchess of Norfolk. A Cistertian Abbey was founded here, by Robert de Ewyas, in the time of King Stephen; and passed, at the dissolution, to the Scudamores. The present church belonged to the Abbey was recently repaired, and contains a fine old pulpit, some beautiful painted windows, and several ancient monuments. Charities, £44.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Abbey Dore has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Abbey Dore and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbey Dore in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Abbey Dore".