In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langley like this:
LANGLEY, a village and a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Yare, 1½ mile N by W of Loddon and 3 SW of Cantley r. station; is a widely-scattered place; was once a market-town; and has an old cross, surmounted by four statues. The parish comprises 2,723 acres. Post-town, Loddon, under Norwich. Real property, £4,129. Pop., 316. Houses, 60. The manor, with most of the property, and with Langley Hall, belongs to W. B. Proctor Beauchamp, Bart. The Hall was erected in 1740, and subsequently enlarged; is an elegant edifice; contains many valuable paintings and other works of art; and stands in a beautiful park of 800 acres. ...
A Premonstratensian abbey was founded, at the Grange, in 1198, by Robert Fitz-Roger; was given, at the dissolution, to the Berneys; and is now represented by some ruins. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £45. Patron, Sir T. W. B. P. Beauchamp, Bart. The church is ancient; was repaired and decorated in 1803: and has a tower. Charities, £21.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Langley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Langley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langley in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Langley".