In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heckingham like this:
HECKINGHAM, a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk; on an affluent of the river Yare, 2 miles E of Loddon, and 3½ SW by W of Reedham r. station. Post town, Loddon, under Norwich. Acres, 1, 102. Real property, £1, 623. Pop., 317. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. Heckingham Hall is a chief residence. Loddon workhouse, which can admit 600 inmates, but had only 162 at the Census of 1861, is here. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Hales, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient but good; and has a circular tower, surmounted by an octagonal turret. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Heckingham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Heckingham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heckingham in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Heckingham".