In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chislehurst like this:
CHISELHURST, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Bromley district, Kent. The village stands on a fine common, elevated about 300 feet above sea-level, near a station of its own name on the Direct Tunbridge railway, 3 miles E of Bromley; and has a post office under London SE., and a fair on Whit-Wednesday. The parish comprises 2, 738 acres. Real property, £10, 973. Pop., 2, 287. Houses, 424. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Walsinghams; and passed to the Betensons and the Lords Sydney. ...
Camden Place was the residence of Camden the antiquary, and is now a seat of Marquis Camden. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Canterbury. Value, £487.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is early and later English; was well restored in 1849; has a spire, rebuilt in 1858; and contains interesting monuments. The vicarage of Sidcup is a separate benefice. There are a church-school, Wesleyan and Roman Catholic chapels, national schools, a R. Catholic orphanage, and charities £79. Sir Fraucis Walsingham and Sir Nicholas Bacon were natives. -The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 16, 809. Pop., 8, 613. Houses, 1, 594.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chislehurst has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bromley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chislehurst and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chislehurst, in Bromley and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chislehurst".