In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bridlington like this:
Bridlington, market town and par., East-Riding Yorksh., 29 m. N. of Hull, 50 E. by N. of York, and 199 NW. of London by rail-- par., 12,562ac. and 569 foreshore, pop. 9177; town 2624 ac., pop. 8343; 4 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday; has remains of priory (1106), part of which is still used as the parish church. B. Quay is the port of Bridlington, and a favourite sea-coast resort, its attractions consisting in its parade and ornamental gardens, its fine firm sands, chalk cliffs, magnificent sea-views, and mineral waters, which resemble those of Scarborough and Cheltenham. ...
The harb. is enclosed by 2 stone piers, and is one of the best on the coast. On the N. pier-head is a lighthouse with fixed light seen 8 miles. In Bridlington Bay, stretching N. to Flamborough Head, a fleet of 400 to 500 sail of wind-hound vessels is not unfrequently to be seen anchored at one time.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bridlington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bridlington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridlington, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bridlington".