In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Alnwick like this:
Alnwick, par., township, and market town, N. Northumb., on river Aln, 38½ miles N. by W. of Newcastle-on-Tyne and 310 miles N. of London by rail -- par., 16,986 ac., pop. 7447; township, 16,749 ac. (70 water), pop. 7440; town, pop. 6693; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. It is a town of great antiquity, was the scene of numerous conflicts in the Scottish wars, and underwent sieges by the Scots in 1093,1135,1174,1328, and 1448. Beside the town is Alnwick Castle, the historic residence of the Dukes of Northumberland, and one of the finest examples of a feudal fortress in the kingdom. Its walls enclose 5 ac., and the grounds extend 5 miles in length.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alnwick has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Alnwick. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alnwick and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alnwick in Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alnwick".