In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Morpeth like this:
Morpeth.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, par., and township, Northumberland, 10½ miles N. by W. of Newcastle and 288 miles from London by rail - par., 11,741 ac., pop. 6946; township, 547ac., pop. 5068; parl. bor., 17,085 ac., pop. 33,459; mun. bor., 231 ac., pop. 4556; town, 5685 ac., pop. 6115; 4 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Wednesday. The situation of Morpeth, in a beautiful valley of the Wansbeck, is very fine, as well as remarkably healthy. Prior to the Norman Conquest the place was of some importance. Of the old castle only the gateway remains. An abbey stood at Newminster, a little to the W. None of the industries of the town are important, but they comprise tanning, malting, brewing, ironfounding, and woollen mfrs. Large collieries are in close proximity to the town. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members prior to 1832.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Morpeth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Castle Morpeth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Morpeth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morpeth, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Morpeth".