In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton like this:
BARTON, a chapelry in Whippingham parish, Isle of Wight; 2 miles NE of Newport. Pop., 1,314. The living is a vicarage. Value, £190.* See Osborne House.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of the Isle of Wight. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barton".