In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Arran like this:
Arran, island, forming part of Buteshire, in Firth of Clyde, 20 miles long by from 8 miles to 10½ miles broad; area, 165 sq. m.; pop. 4730. The surface in the N. and NW. is rugged and mountainous, rising in Goatfell to 2865 ft. Of the entire area of 105,814 ac. about 14,431 are cultivated. Cattle and sheep are reared, and the herring fishery on the coast is considerable. The island has two good natural harbours -- Lamrash Bay on the SE. side- and Loch Ranza on the NW. Brodick Castle, on Brodick Bay, is a seat of the Duke of Hamilton, to whom most of the island belongs. ...
Many parts of A. are traditionally connected with Robert the Bruce. It is celebrated for its interesting geological and botanical features; also for its antiqui ties, consisting mainly of prehistoric circles and Norse or Danish forts. During the summer the island is a favourite residence for those in search of health and recreation, and steamers ply between it and ports on the Clyde. There are 2 pars., Kilmory and Kilbride.
The location is a central one within the island, but referencing the New Popular map results in an excessively close view.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Arran has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Ayrshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Arran and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arran, in North Ayrshire and Buteshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Arran".