In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shirehampton like this:
SHIREHAMPTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Westbury-on-Trym parish, Gloucester; on the river Avon, and on the Bristol Port and Pier railway, 5 miles NW by W of Bristol. It has a r. station, a post-office under Bristol, two good inns, and a dispensary. Real property, £5,224. Pop. in 1851, 632; in 1861, 731. Houses, 145. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, the Incumbent of Westbury. The church is cruciform. There are a national school and several small charities.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shirehampton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bristol. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shirehampton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shirehampton, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shirehampton".