In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newholm like this:
NEWHOLM-WITH-DUNSLEY, a township in Whitby parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, 2½ miles W of Whitby. Acres, 2, 254; of which 89 are water. Real property, £3,051; of which £100 are in mines. Pop., 382. Houses, 78. A maritime fort was built hereby the Emperor Justinian; and a Roman road, called Wade's Causeway, went thence to Malton. The Danes, with a numerous force, landed here in 867. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newholm has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Scarborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newholm and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newholm, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newholm".