In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Babcary like this:
BABCARY, a parish in Langport district, Somerset; near the river Parret, 3¾ miles NNE of Ilchester r. station. It includes the hamlets of Higher Farrington, Lower Farrington, and sort; and its Post Town is Charlton-Mackerel under Taunton. Acres, 2,393. Real property, £3,923. Pop., 426. Houses, 94. The property is much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £450.* Patron, Mrs. Burke The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Babcary has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Babcary and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Babcary in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Babcary".