In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingsthorpe like this:
KINGSTHORPE, a village and a parish in the district and county of Northampton. The village stands near the Northampton and Leicester railway, and a branch of the river Nen, 2 miles N by W of Northampton; is a considerable place; was formerly governed by a bailiff; and has a post office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1,800 acres. Real property, £7, 684; of which £60 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 586; in 1861, 1, 906. Houses, 434. The increase of pop. was caused by the extension of the shoe trade. ...
The manor belonged anciently to the Crown. An hospital was founded here, in 1200, by Peter de Northampton; and was given by Queen Mary to the master of the Savoy. Kingsthorpe Hall is the seat of the Misses Boddington. A buildingstone of excellent quality is quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £700.* Patron, St. Katherine's Hospital, London. The church is partly Norman, partly later English. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities about £70.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kingsthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Northampton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kingsthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingsthorpe, in Northampton and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kingsthorpe".