In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Market Lavington like this:
LAVINGTON (EAST), a small town and a parish in Devizes district, Wilts. The town stands in a fertile valley, near the Ridge way, and on the N border of Salisbury plain, 5½ miles S of Devizes r. station; is irregularly built; consists chiefly of two streets; is commonly called Market-Lavington; and has a post office‡ of that name under Devizes. A workmen's hall was erected in 1864. A weekly market was formerly held, but has been discontinued; and malting is carried on. The parish contains also the tything of Easterton. ...
Acres, 4, 721. Real property, £7, 574. Pop. in 1851. 1, 721; in 1861, 1, 583. Houses, 381. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of machinery works and of a foundry. The manor belonged once to the Plantagenets; and passed to the Beauchamps, the Montagues, and the Bouveries. A mansion, on a picturesque site, about ½ a mile W of the town, was built in 1866 by the Right Hon. E. P. Bouverie. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300. * Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church stands on an eminence W of the town; is later English, with a steeple; and was restored in 1862. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, two national schools, and charities £20. Bishop Tanner, author of "Notitia Monastica, " was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Market Lavington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Market Lavington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Market Lavington, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Market Lavington".