In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alkborough like this:
ALKBOROUGH, or Aukborough, a parish in Glanford Brigg district, Lincoln; at the mouth of the river Trent, 5 miles S of Brough r. station, and 10½ W of Barton-upon-Humber. It has a post office under Brigg; and contains the hamlet of Walcot. Acres, 2,875; of which 335 are water. Real property, £3,394. Pop., 497. Houses, 99. The property is divided between two. A high ground, with cliff, overhanging the Trent, commands a brilliant view of the basins of the Trent, the Ouse, and the Humber, and forms a strong, natural, military post for overawing great part of the coast of England. ...
A Roman camp occurs here, of square outline, 300 feet each side, with vallum and ditch nearly entire; and now bears the name of Countess Close, from a tradition that it was inhabited by a Countess of Warwick. Alkborough is thought to have been the Roman Aquis. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Whitton, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £209. Patrons, the Bishop of Lincoln and the Rev.Constable. The church is ancient. There are two Methodist chapels and a large alms-house.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alkborough has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lincolnshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alkborough and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alkborough in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alkborough".