In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingswood like this:
KINGSWOOD, a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands 1 mile NE of carries on manufactures in woollen cloth; and has a post office under Wootton-under-Edge. The parish comprises 2, 350 acres. Real property, £6, 443. Pop. in 1851, 1, 227; in 1861, 1, 061. Houses, 268. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the cloth manufacture. The property is divided. The land anciently formed part of an extensive forest, superintended by the constable of Bristol castle. ...
The manor belongs now to R. H. Blagden Hale, Esq. A Cistertian priory, a cell to Tintern abbey, was founded here, in 1139, by William de Berkeley; was removed, for a time, to Rodmorden and Tutbury; was re-founded here in 1170; was given, by Queen Elizabeth, to the Thynnes; and remains of it still exist near the parish church. woollen cloth factories are at Kingswood Mills and Nind Mills; and there is a brewery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £99.* Patrons, the Parishioners. The church comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains monuments of the Berkeleys and others. There are an Independent chapel, a free school with £50 a year, and charities £149.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kingswood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stroud. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kingswood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingswood, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kingswood".