In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Evesham like this:
Evesham, mun. bor. and market town with ry. sta., E. Worcestershire, on river Avon, 15 miles SE. of Worcester and 105 miles NW. of London, 2338 ac., pop. 5112; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Monday. A stone bridge of 8 arches connects the town with Bengeworth. The chief industry is market-gardening; but there are also some mfrs. of agricultural implements, and of gloves and hosiery. Evesham was the seat of a monastery as early as the beginning of the 8th century; the tower (built a little before the Reformation) still remains, and is considered one of the finest specimens of its kind in England. The battle of Evesham, which replaced Henry III. on his throne, was fought in 1265. Evesham returned 2 members to Parliament till 1867, and 1 member till 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Evesham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wychavon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Evesham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Evesham, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Evesham".