Place:


South Newington  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Newington like this:

NEWINGTON (South), a village and a parish in Banbury district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Swere, 4 miles W N W of Deddington, and 6¼ W by N of Aynho r. station; and has a post-office under Banbury. The parish comprises 1, 460 acres. Real property, £3, 188. Pop., 400. Houses, 93. ...


The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury. The living is a vicarage in-the diocese of Oxford. Value, £250.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The churchstands on an eminence; shows features of Norman, early English, decorated, and perpendicular architecture; and is a good and handsome edifice, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

South Newington through time

South Newington is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Newington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Newington, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9993

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Newington ".