Place:


Milcombe  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milcombe like this:

MILCOMBE, a chapelry in Bloxham parish, Oxford; near the river Swere, 4 miles WNW of Deddington, and 5½ W of Aynho r. station. Post town, Banbury. Acres, 1,380. Real property, £2,277. Pop., 241. Houses, 56. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £136. * Patron, the Vicar of Bloxham two turns, and the Rector of Wigginton one turn; subsequently, Eton College three turns, and the Rector of Wigginton one turn. The church is chiefly of the 13th century, has a tower, and was recently restored. There are a Baptist chapel, and town lands, £37.

Milcombe through time

Milcombe is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milcombe, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9967

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milcombe ".