Place:


Lew  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lew like this:

LEW, a village and a chapelry in Bampton parish, Oxford. The village stands 2½ miles NE of Bampton, and 2½ SSW of Witney r. station; and has a post office under Faringdon. The chapelry ranked formerly as a hamlet of Bampton parish, and as an appendage to Bampton vicarage; and is now sometimes called Bampton-Lew. ...


Acres, 1,500. Real property, £1,699. Pop., 182. Houses, 44. Lew House, with an estate in the parish, recently became the property of Christchurch, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is a plain edifice of nave, aisle, and chancel, with tower and spire. There is a national school.

Lew through time

Lew is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lew itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lew in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9960

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lew ".