Place:


Clifton upon Teme  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton upon Teme like this:

CLIFTON-UPON-TEME, a village and a parish in Martley district, Worcester. The village stands under fine cliffs at the river Teme, 7 miles NNW of Bransford Road r. station, and 10 NW of Worcester; was once a market-town and a borough; and has a post office‡ under Worcester. The parish comprises 2, 972 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 252. Pop., 542. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Ingrams and others; and belongs now to Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £172.* Patron, Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. The church, and also an ancient churchyard cross 15 feet high, were recently restored. Charities, £20.

Clifton upon Teme through time

Clifton upon Teme is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton upon Teme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton upon Teme, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9959

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton upon Teme ".