Place:


Longdon  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longdon like this:

LONGDON, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands 2 miles W of the Severn, 2½ SSW of Upton r. station, and 4 NW of Tewkesbury; and has a post office under Tewkesbury. The parish contains also the hamlets of Hillworth, Hillend, Eastington, Long Green, and Ham Common. ...


Acres, 3,903. Real property, £6,418. Pop., 626. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Chamber's Court is the seat of E. G. Stone, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Castle-Morton, in the diocese of Worcester. Valne, £550. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is a brick structure, in mixed style, and in good condition; and has a stone tower and spire. There are a national school with £30 from endowment, and other charities £50.

Longdon through time

Longdon is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longdon, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9944

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longdon ".