Place:


South Leigh  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Leigh like this:

LEIGH (SOUTH), a parish in Witney district, Oxford; on the Witney and Oxford railway, 2¾ miles E by S of Witney. It has a station on the railway; and its posttown is Witney. Acres, 2,074. Real property, £3,163. Pop., 319. Houses, 61. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Stanton-Harcourt, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is a small plain building, with a tower; and was the first in which John Wesley. preached. Charities, £12.

South Leigh through time

South Leigh is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Leigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Leigh in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9928

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Leigh ".