Place:


North Leigh  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Leigh like this:

LEIGH (NORTH), a village and a parish in Witney district, Oxford. The village stands 1½ mile SE of Akeman-street, 2¾ W by S of Handborough r. station, and 3 NE by N of Witney. The parish contains also the hamlet of Newyatt; and its Post town is Witney. Acres, 2,460. Real property, £4,025; of which £18 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 738. Houses, 163. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Marlborough. A Roman villa, 212 feet by 167, a tesselated pavement, a hypocaust, coins of Clandins, and other Roman relics, were found in the parish in 1813-6. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £147.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; has a Norman low square tower; and contains a fine alabaster figured tomb, and several other monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £51.

North Leigh through time

North Leigh is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Leigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Leigh in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9925

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Leigh ".