Place:


Chadderton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chadderton like this:

CHADDERTON, a township, two chapelries, and a subdistrict in Oldham district, Lancashire. The township lies on the Oldham railways, the river Irk, and the Rochdale canal, within Oldham borough, and 1 mile ESE of Middleton; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 2,978. Real property, £29,797; of which £6,967 are in mines. ...


Pop., 7,486. Houses, 1,503. The property is much subdivided. Chadderton Hall was formerly the seat of the Hortons. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries, and in cotton and silk factories.-The chapelries are Chadderton-St. John and Chadderton-St. Matthew; were constituted in 1844; and jointly are a little more extensive than the township. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300 and £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. St. M. 's church was built, at a cost of £1,900, in 1857. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. The Oldham cemetery also is here.-The subdistrict consists of Chadderton and Tonge townships. Acres, 3,345. Pop., 12,092. Houses, 2,456.

Chadderton through time

Chadderton is now part of Oldham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oldham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chadderton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chadderton, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/992

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chadderton ".