Place:


Kelmscot  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kelmscot like this:

KELMSCOTT, a township-chapelry in Broadwell parish, Oxford; on the river Thames, at the boundary with Berks and Gloucester, 2½ miles E by S of Lechlade, and 3¾ NW of Faringdon r. station. Post town, Lechlade under Swindon. Acres, 910. Real property, £1, 605. Pop., 141. Houses, 35. The manor, with Kelmscott House, a fine Tudor mansion, belongs to H. W. Vincent, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Broadwell, in the diocese of Oxford.

Kelmscot through time

Kelmscot is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kelmscot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kelmscot in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9881

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kelmscot ".