Place:


Eckington  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eckington like this:

ECKINGTON, a parish and a sub-district in Pershore district, Worcester. The parish lies on the river Avon, and on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 3½ miles SW by S of Pershore. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Pershore. Acres, 2, 260. Real property, £5, 678. ...


Pop., 748. Houses, 168. The property is divided among a few. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £210.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church has an embattled tower; contains monuments of the Hanfords; and is good. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £57. -The sub-district contains six parishes, and parts of two others. Acres, 16, 897. Pop., 4, 228. Houses, 912.

Eckington through time

Eckington is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eckington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eckington, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9869

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eckington ".