Place:


Holwell  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holwell like this:

HOLWELL, a township and a chapelry in Broadwell parish, Oxford. The township lies near the boundary with Gloucester, 2½ miles SSW of Burford, and 7 SSW. of Shipton r. station. Post town, Burford, under Faringdon. Acres, 1, 044. Real property, £1, 259. Pop., 110. Houses, 22. The property belongs to H. W. Vincent, Esq.—The chapelry was constituted in 1850. Pop., 193. Houses, 34. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £100. Patron, W. Hervey, Esq. The church is modern, and in the early English style.

Holwell through time

Holwell is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holwell in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9855

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holwell ".