Place:


Hailey  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hailey like this:

HAILEY, a township and a chapelry in Witney parish, Oxford. The township lies near the river Wye, 2 miles N by W of Witney r. station. Acres, 2, 827. Real property, £5, 959. Pop., 1, 316. Houses, 299. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Crawley; and bears the name of Hailey-cum-Crawley. ...


Post town, Witney. Acres, 3, 943. Real property, £7, 055. Pop., 1, 569. Houses, 301. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300. * Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1869. There are an endowed school with £14, and other charities with £33.

Hailey through time

Hailey is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hailey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hailey in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9806

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hailey ".