Place:


Eynsham  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eynsham like this:

ENSHAM, or Eynesham, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Witney district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Isis, adjacent to the Witney railway, 4¾ miles E by S of Witney; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Oxford. It was known to the Saxons as Egonesham; is said to have been a British town before the times of the heptarchy; was a seat of royalty, and the scene of a wittenagemot, in the time of Etheldred the Unready; had a Benedictine abbey, founded in 1005 by Ethelmar or Aylmar, Earl of Cornwall; and figured, at later periods, as a market-town. ...


The abbey was given, at the dissolution, to the Stanleys; and the only part of it now remaining is a window in the parsonage garden. The parish comprises 5, 060 acres. Real property, £10, 262. Pop., 2, 096. Houses, 457. Ensham Hall is a principal residence. The parish is a meet for the Heythrop hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £176.* Patron, Mrs. W. S. Bricknell. The church is ancient, and has a monument of Dr. Rogers; and near it is an ancient cross. There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £36, and other charities with £147.—The sub-district contains also five other parishes. Acres, 17, 571. Pop., 5, 237. Houses, 1, 138.

Eynsham through time

Eynsham is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eynsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eynsham in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9660

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eynsham ".