Place:


Elsfield  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elsfield like this:

ELSFIELD, a parish in Headington district, Oxford; near the river Cherwell, 3 miles S by E of Islip r. station, and 3 NE of Oxford. Post town, Oxford. Acres, 1, 280 Real property, £1, 532. Pop., 179. Houses, 42. The property is all in one estate; and belonged to the Eldsfields, the Hores, the Pudseys, and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £215. Patron, Col. J. Sidney North. The church is small and good. Charities, £10. Wise, the antiquary, was vicar.

Elsfield through time

Elsfield is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elsfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elsfield in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9637

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elsfield ".