Place:


Abberley  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abberley like this:

ABBERLEY, a parish in Martley district Worcester; near the river Teme, 5 miles SW of Stourport r. station. It has a post office under Stourport. Acres, 2,636. Real property, £4,238. Pop., 692. Houses, 132. The property is much subdivided. Abberley hills are about 800 feet high. The rocks display the caradoc formation, and include lime and coal. ...


An ancient camp occurs at Woodbury. The poet William Walsh, the friend of Pope, was a native. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £249.* Patron, J. Moilliett, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1852. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £15.

Abberley through time

Abberley is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abberley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abberley, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9571

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abberley ".