Place:


Crowmarsh  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crowmarsh like this:

CROWMARSH-GIFFORD, a parish in the district of Wallingford, and county of Oxford; on the river Thames, adjacent on the east to Wallingford r. station, and 13-miles SSE of Oxford. It has a post office of the name of Crowmarsh, under Wallingford. Acres, 662. Real property, £1, 708. Pop., 360. Houses, 73. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to W. Giffard. A small hospital was founded here about the middle of the 13th century. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £247.* Patron, Lord Barrington. The church is partly Norman.

Crowmarsh through time

Crowmarsh is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crowmarsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crowmarsh in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9550

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crowmarsh ".