Place:


Cogges  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cogges like this:

COGGES, or Coggs, a parish in Witney district, Oxford; on the Witney railway, 1 mile E of Witney. Post town, Witney. Acres, 1,820. Real property, with Wilcote, £4, 014. Pop., 714. Houses, 167. The manor belonged anciently to the Arsics; and passed to the Greys of Rotherfield, the Lovels, and the Popes. ...


The manor-house, a building of the 13th century, was changed into a farm-house. A black priory, a cell to Fescamp abbey in Normandy, was founded here about 1100, by one of the Arsics. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £120.* Patron, Eton College. The church is an edifice of the 14th century; was built by the Greys; and contains a curious altar-tomb, with a recumbent female figure. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £96.

Cogges through time

Cogges is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cogges itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cogges in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9541

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cogges ".