Place:


Clanfield  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clanfield like this:

CLANFIELD, a parish in Witney district, Oxford; adjacent to the Thames, 4¼ miles N of Faringdon, and 7½ SW of Witney r. station. It has a post office under Faringdon. Acres, 1, 620. Real property, £3, 438. Pop., 547. Houses, 140. The property is subdivided. Radcot bridge over the Thames here was the scene of the Earl of Oxford's defeat in 1387. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £100. Patrons, J. Elliott and W. Aldworth, Esqs. The church is early English; and consists of nave, north aisle, chancel, and chantry, with west tower and south porch. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £5.

Clanfield through time

Clanfield is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clanfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clanfield in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9537

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clanfield ".