Place:


Newbrough  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newbrough like this:

NEWBROUGH, or Newburgh, a parish, with a village, in Hexham district, Northumberland; on the South Tyne river, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, near the Roman wall, 1 mile W by N of Four-stones r. station, and 5 W N W of Hexham. It has a post-office under Hexham. Acres, 6, 705. Real property, £6, 659; of which £1, 400 are in miles. ...


Pop. in 1851, 551; in 1861, 703. Houses, 136. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of new lead mines, and fromincrease of employment in the quarrying of freestone, and in the calcining of limestone. The S part, adjacent to the Tyne, is a rich tract; but the other parts arechiefly moorish upland. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warden, in the diocese of Durham. The church is a neat stone building, with a tower. There are a United Free Methodist chapel, a mechanics'institute, and a national school.

Newbrough through time

Newbrough is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newbrough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newbrough, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9523

Date accessed: 26th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newbrough ".