Place:


Nafferton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nafferton like this:

NAFFERTON, a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, 7½ miles E by N of Hexham. Acres, 773. Pop., 53. Houses, 10. Nafferton Castle was built out of materials of the Romanwall, by Sir Philip D' Ulecote, in the time of King John; and consists of a keep, 20 feet square, and 2 outer baileys. There is a colliery. The township is a meet for the Tindale hounds.

Nafferton through time

Nafferton is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nafferton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nafferton, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9513

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nafferton ".