Place:


Wilnecote  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilnecote like this:

WILNECOTE, a township in Tamworth parish, and a chapelry partly also in Polesworth parish, Warwick. The township lies on Watling-street, 1 mile W of the erby and Birmingham railway, and 2½ SE of Tamworth; and has a post-office under Tamworth, and a r. station jointly with Fazeley. Real property, £4,289; of which £250 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 824; in 1861, 1,350. Houses, 267. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of coal mines. The property is much subdivided. W. Hall, Dosthill House, and Wilnecote Hall are chief residences. Bricks and tiles are made.—The chapelry was constituted in 1856. Pop. in 1861, 1,654. Houses, 329. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £178. Patron, the Vicar of Tamworth. The church is tolerable; and there are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Wilnecote through time

Wilnecote is now part of Tamworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tamworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilnecote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilnecote, in Tamworth and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9449

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilnecote ".