Place:


Broadwell  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broadwell like this:

BROADWELL, or Bradwell, a village in the district of Witney, and a parish in the districts of Witney and Faringdon, and county of Oxford. The village stands on Akeman-street, 4 miles NNE of Lechlade, and 8½ SW of Witney r. station. The parish includes also the hamlet of Filkins, the chapelry of Holwell, and the township of Kelmscott; and its Post Town is Clanfield, under Faringdon. ...


Acres, 5,874. Real property, £7,630. Pop., 1,103. Houses, 256. The property is divided among a few. Filkins is the seat of the Colstons; and Broadwell Grove belonged formerly to the Thomonds, and belongs now to the Herveys. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Kelmscott, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £207. Patron, the Rev. F. T. Woodman. The church is cruciform and good; has a fine spire; and contains monuments of the Colstons. There are a free school and charities £8. The vicarages of Holwell and Filkins are separate benefices.

Broadwell through time

Broadwell is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broadwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broadwell in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9410

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broadwell ".