Place:


Black Bourton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Black Bourton like this:

BLACKBOURTON, a parish in Witney district, Oxford; 6 miles SW of Witney r. station. It has a post office under Faringdon. Acres, 1,300. Real property, £2,978. Pop., 200. Houses, 61. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £148. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is early English; and contains a stone pulpit and monuments of the Hungerfords and Sir A.-Hopton. Maria Edgeworth was a native.

Black Bourton through time

Black Bourton is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Black Bourton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Black Bourton in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9379

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Black Bourton ".