In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linchmere like this:
LINCHMERE, or LYNCHMERE, a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex; on the Midhurst and Haslemere railway, 3 miles SW of Haslemere. Post town, Haslemere, under Liphook. Acres, 2,101. Real property, £1,131. Pop., 283. Houses, 56. The property is chiefly divided among four. The manor belonged anciently to the De Percys; passed to the Fitzalans, - afterwards to Sir William Fitzwilliam; and belongs now to the Earl of Egmont. Shulbrede priory, in this parish, was founded in the time of Henry III., by Sir Ralph de Arderne, for Augustinian canons; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir William Fitzwilliam; and has left some remains, on part of which are still discernible some curious fresco paintings. ...
The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £60. Patron, the Rev. W. H. Parson. The church is of the 14th century; was restored in 1856; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel. There is a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Linchmere has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Linchmere and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linchmere, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Linchmere".